The following file:South African Public Holidays
http://www.new-heights.co.za/files/South_Africaholidays Comma Seperated File.zip
This download contains a CSV (Comma Separated File) inside a zip file. You need to extract the zip file before you can import the CSV file into your calendar.
Calendars can be imported into Outlook, Google Calendar, Yahoo Calendar, iCAL and any calendar application that can import a Comma Separated Value (CSV) file.
To import this calendar into iCal, please use this tool:http://manas.tungare.name/projects/yahoo2ical/
Labels: Handy Stuff
By: RexMan | Wednesday, October 31, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM | |
YAY For Bugnet! Bugnet
is a fantastic tool to track support issues and log calls as well as being able to log time spent on issues.Here is the tools homepage!
We have been using it in our organization since January 2007 and have found this to be a great tool for tracking support issues and making sure that all our bases are covered when it comes to customer services. We also use it to plan our development strategy going forward and see how effective we have been in the past with patches or new features. We have tracked over 400 issues and ideas using this system.
Our organization covers a wide variety or IT services.
1. Custom Software Development
2. Product Software Development for corporates
3. Product Software Development for the general public
4. IT Infrastructure for our group of companies
5. IT Support and networking for selected clients
Here are the features I really like:
1. Open source.
2. ASP .NET 2.0.
3. Multiple Project Support.
4. Ability to add attachments to issues.
5. Easy to read ticket numbers are issued by the system.
6. Automatic Changelog and Roadmaps for your software projects.
7. Very granular user security from totally public to solidly locked down.
8. Nice project metrics.
9. Easy navigation and filtering.
10. Project Summary shows nice overview of issues.
11. Full history on tickets.
12. Nicely formatted comments on issues.
13. Ability to link an issue to a related issue.
14. Active support from the developers.
15. Export a project list to Excel, or subscribe via RSS to a project or issue!!
16. Each project can have multiple categories, versions and milestones. You can also give deadlines and time estimates on issues.
Here are some features which I don't use but you might like:
1. Ability to log calls sent to an email account.
2. Very good reporting.
3. Custom field definitions on support tickets.
4. Active Directory / SAM authentication.
Overall this is a very powerful product and well worth investigating in your business.Once again, here is the tools homepage!
Labels: management, software
By: RexMan | Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 1:07:00 PM | |
A new trojan horse application called 65404-SkypeDefenderSetup.exe attempts to steal sensitive login information by posing as Skype.
When executed a popup appears. Skype-Defender installed!
When the users click OK, a knockoff of the Skype interface appears requesting user to login.
Once the details have been entered a message appears saying that the name and password were unrecognized.
The application then sends on the stolen information.
For the full story check out the Skype blog
Labels: Virus Warnings
By: bossmanthe | Friday, October 19, 2007 at 1:11:00 PM | |
By: RexMan | Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 11:21:00 AM | |
Referring to the following article
Every year the motor biking community gets together and does a Toy Run for charity. The entry fee for each bike is a toy which gets donated to charity.
How the event is organized is basically each bike meets at a venue in their local area and they drive together in convoy to a venue. Last year it was Westbank Raceway in Germiston for the Gauteng region.
This year they are trying break the Guinness World Record of the most bikes in one place. Currently the record stand at 22,000. What they have done is canceled all the toy runs in the country and hold only one event in Gauteng.
The event will be held on 25th November 2007 and more information can be found at http://www.toyrun.org.za/. Last year they organized over 45,000 toys!
Labels: Real Life News
By: RexMan | at 10:45:00 AM | |
No amount of marketing hype would get me near one of these….
Domino’s Pizza chain have launched the Oreo dessert pizza. Yup, Oreos on pizza base drizzled with sugar stuff.
Here is the link to TV commercial
Heard on Gamespot podcast - the Hotspot.
By: bossmanthe | Wednesday, October 10, 2007 at 6:48:00 AM | |
By: bossmanthe | Friday, October 5, 2007 at 1:54:00 PM | |
By: bossmanthe | at 1:51:00 PM | |
Spiceworks the great free network and workstation auditing software
In our business keeping track of the IT Assets for a group of companies is challenging. There are numerous products out there to help an IT Manager do this, however they either cost an arm or a leg, or the software provider wants a copy of the information gathered, or the free stuff is just pure crap!
Well in my travels across the NET I came across SPICEWORKS
. It is seriously good remote WMI auto-discovery software.The management interface is a set of web pages with a consistent and clean look.
- SNMP, network device and network printer scanning
- Linux scanning via SSH
- Alerts on customizable definitions (eg machines with no anti-virus or low printer toner)
- Ability to manage your software licenses
- Software automatically categorizes machines into groups. eg Laptops, servers, routers etc
- Ability to define custom devices
- Ability to compare one machine with another
There are several catches:
- Some clients you will need the administrator password for, a problem when it comes to private hardware
- You need to make sure the firewall is opened from the machine you are running the scan from to the target machine to allow WMI requests through
- The software is not 100% free as it displays some adverts
All in all this is a fantastic piece of software. I was involved in writing this type of software in the past and compared to what I wrote these guys have really taken the cake!Download it from their website immediately
and start pro-actively managing your IT assets today!
Labels: Handy Stuff, management, software
By: RexMan | Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 8:42:00 AM | |
A Motorola RAZR marketing campaign does a great job stopping traffic. The billboard located in Russia is certainly effective.
Labels: Advertising, humour
By: bossmanthe | Monday, October 1, 2007 at 2:29:00 PM | |
This made me laugh so much, and with the World Cup Rugby on at the moment I could not resist in posting it!
Koos was walking through his veld one day when he spots someone drinking water from a
He shouts, "Moenie die water drink nie, dis vol skaapk*k".
The other guy says, "I'm Australian mate, speak English!"
Koos replies, "Use both hands, you get more that way".Hahahaha!
By: RexMan | at 2:21:00 PM | |