Spiceworks the great free network and workstation auditing software
In our business keeping track of the IT Assets for a group of companies is challenging. There are numerous products out there to help an IT Manager do this, however they either cost an arm or a leg, or the software provider wants a copy of the information gathered, or the free stuff is just pure crap!
Well in my travels across the NET I came across SPICEWORKS. It is seriously good remote WMI auto-discovery software.The management interface is a set of web pages with a consistent and clean look.
- SNMP, network device and network printer scanning
- Linux scanning via SSH
- Alerts on customizable definitions (eg machines with no anti-virus or low printer toner)
- Ability to manage your software licenses
- Software automatically categorizes machines into groups. eg Laptops, servers, routers etc
- Ability to define custom devices
- Ability to compare one machine with another
There are several catches:
- Some clients you will need the administrator password for, a problem when it comes to private hardware
- You need to make sure the firewall is opened from the machine you are running the scan from to the target machine to allow WMI requests through
- The software is not 100% free as it displays some adverts
All in all this is a fantastic piece of software. I was involved in writing this type of software in the past and compared to what I wrote these guys have really taken the cake!
Download it from their website immediately and start pro-actively managing your IT assets today!